Monday, June 4, 2012

16 oz. of soda, please

So, the big news the other day was that NYC Mayor Bloomberg mandated that restaurants can no longer sell a soda larger than 16 ounces.  (Versions of the story: soda jerk; and Bloomberg bans soda and celebrates "Donut Day.")  He's "forcing" the people to drink less soda.  And why shouldn't he?  The libs have managed to control our healthcare so they ought to have a say in how we treat our bodies, right?  After all, they're paying for it.  And it's for your own good, anyway.  You are too stupid to decide for yourself what you should and shouldn't eat or drink.

Martin Niemoller has a famous quote:


First they came for the Communists,
and I did not speak out--
because I was not a Communist.

Then they came fort he Trade Unionist,
and I did not speak out-- 
because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I did not speak out--
because I was not a Jew.

And then they came for me--
and there was no one left to speak for me.

~Martin Niemoller
personal prisoner of Adolph Hitler
in Nazi concentration camps


A friend of mine just re-wrote it to apply to this ridiculous fascism over soft drinks, read it here.

Since this topic was on the minds of everyone the other day, it was unavoidable as I turned on talk radio while we drove down the highway.  I explained to my boys what Bloomberg had done and how utterly ridiculous it is and how it is a way to strip Americans of their freedoms.  If you give 'em an inch, they think they're the ruler.

Silas:  "Mom, I'm thirsty."
Me:  "Me too.  Would you like an orange juice or milk?"
Silas:  "Can I have a soda?"
Me:  "Sure."
Silas:  "Well," pause, "I'd like sixteen ounces of Coca Cola, please."

Mind you, he's 6 years old.  And a carbon copy of his mother, sass and all.  We sure had a good laugh.  Ultimately, I decided it was too late for a sugary soda and he had some O.J. instead (as mom, I can be a Bloomberg-type dictator to my children, it's my job), but we were in hysterics there for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment