Tuesday, July 15, 2014

So the scariest thing I've done so far…

Dr. Gina Loudon's producer called me a few weeks ago and asked if I would be a guest on her show the following day to talk about my dad who is convinced he is a woman trapped in a man's body ("transgender").  My dad is being treated for his sex-change largely by the V.A. while combat-wounded veterans aren't being treated as their needs demand, and still others are put on perpetual waiting lists --- many of these die before ever being seen.  

I agreed to the interview because why would God allow me to be in such an unbelievably unique situation and not have me testify about it when given the opportunity.  I can't let my fears keep me from obedience to God.  I was very afraid…and still am; but if I should face criticism and persecution in this life, it is not worthy to be compared to the glory that will be revealed in me in Heaven.

Since my dad announced his decision to transition into a "woman", and since he decided to cut me off last year, attempted to publicly humiliate my mother, my sister, and I, and then started randomly texting me again these past few months (apparently an effort to reconnect); I have wondered what in the world this relationship would look like and if such a relationship is even possible.  If it is possible, then I want to try it.  Honestly, it would be far easier to just walk away and go on with my life.  But would it be right?  Part of me wants to "shake the dust off my feet" and move on, but I struggle with the rightness of that.  Undoubtedly there are times when such a response is warranted.

Then, my dear friend, Kenda Bartlett, of Concerned Women for America, gave me this very practical and undeniable Biblical wisdom: "Honor your Father…"  Really, I should have come up with this all by myself.  After all, it is one of the 10 Commandments.  She said that when I talk about my dad, to my dad, and pray for my dad, that I should always do it respectfully.  Then when I further searched the subject out in the Bible, I also found this: "…cursed is the one who treats his father…with contempt."  Contempt is defined as: the feeling that a person is beneath consideration, worthless, or deserving scorn.  I am really thankful for this very practical and doable counsel. 

Here is the interview.

Please pray for Shawn Lee who is the other guest on the show.  I am so inspired by him.  He is choosing to respond to this trial in his life by rising above it and doing what he can to make a difference for others.  It is like 2 Corinthians 1 that says the God of all comfort comforts us so that we can comfort others.  Or like one of my favorite stories from Streams in the Desert about a man who walked through life with an oil can so he could oil the hinges of sticky doors to make it easier for others to pass through after him.  May Shawn be blessed in his endeavors and be a great blessing to many other veteran warrior heroes.  As I once heard many years ago: "It's not what happens to you that matters.  It's your response to what happens to you that makes all the difference."

Also, please pray for my dad.  I do love him very much though I didn't have opportunity to express that in this interview.  It was my one frustration when all was said and done.  This interview occurred before my Biblical revelation of how to treat my dad, so please forgive any disrespect that I may have shown to him in any of my words. It was not my intent at all to show any lack of love to my father.


Romans 8:18; Matthew 10:11-23; Exodus 20:12;
Deuteronomy 27:16; 2 Corinthians 1:3-7;
Streams in the Desert by Mrs. Charles Cowman

No comments:

Post a Comment