Thursday, June 10, 2010

Balancing kindness and righteous anger

Continue to do good and to please God even when under fire and falsely accused by others.  The ultimate goal is not to be right (in your pride) but that God be glorified and you remain blameless before Him, putting to shame and silence those that would slander you.  (My paraphrase of 1 Ptr 3:8-17 in my quiet time this morning.)


I am doing a "Loving Your Husband" Bible study by Cynthia Heald, but of course have politics and my country on the brain.  I am trying to hard to balance my reaction to things politically in light of Jesus and not being hostile or volatile.  THIS IS VERY DIFFICULT.  When I think of all that the Founders fought for in pen and in war, it breaks my heart to see it destroyed.  It is not right and it makes me angry.  I want God to be honored.  I want to be a good witness.  I want to leave a free country to my children.  I want to say and do what is honorable to Him, to ridiculous governmental leaders, and to my friends and family that oppose me.
I am reading the Salt & Light Ministry manual right now and I love how it balances these very issues.  I want it to become a part of me.  Loving, but not silent.  Respectful, but not a wimp.  Peaceable, but effective.  Humble, but concise.  
How I need my emotions to desert me, yet the passion to remain.


I often wonder what Scripture says about how we are to be in times like these: when my country founded on freedom and on God is being slipped out from under me, and more importantly, from under my children.  Mama bear is not happy.


Esther.  Sweet Esther.  How I have loved studying that book.  (Beth Moore has the most fantastic study: Esther, It's Tough Being  A Woman.)
Like Esther & our coming Jesus, we must hold onto God and the freedom He gives us.  We are not to stand passively by as tyrants take our God-given rights.  God is the same yesterday, today, and forever.  Jesus will one day lead a mighty battle.  He is a warrior and we are in His image--even to stand for righteousness and to avoid oppression.

No comments:

Post a Comment