Friday, June 25, 2010

God’s Hand in our Home Schooling

I’ve been meaning to write about the fun we have had in home schooling and the obvious hand of God in the midst. I just want to record the times that I have noticed God in the adventure of educating my children.
  1. Last Summer, I thought we should study a passage of scripture. So, I easily came to the conclusion that we would study the armor of God, especially since the boys were so intrigued with knights and such, so I picked up an armor of God pamphlet and poster. We joined CFS and discovered that their chosen passage of scripture for memory verses was Ephesians 6:10-20, the armor of God. Then, Marian began going through a series of lessons in the boys’ Sunday school class centered on the armor of God.
  2. As we were learning about things we would see on our trip to D.C. last year, we ended up spending a lot of time on Apollo 11, the first moon landing. I didn’t realize that it was the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11. Also, the theme of Borrego Days was “Starry Starry Nights” as we celebrated Borrego’s Dark Sky recognition and the awesome star-gazing experiences we have in our quaint town. (Did anyone see Buzz Aldrin on “Dancing With The Stars”? A legend in our midst.)
  3. We spent some time on floods because we were preparing to visit the Skirball Museum’s Noah’s Ark exhibit in Los Angeles. A friend of the boys was over one night and she wanted to watch Animal Planet where they were showing animal rescues in the flooded areas hit by hurricane Katrina. That sure helped me explain what a flood was to my boys…and by no effort of my own.
  4. At the close of our first school year, I decided to plunge into natural disasters: volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc. And what real life events there were to take advantage of: Haiti, Chile, our own crazy Easter quake and the numerous aftershocks we continue to have, the Icelandic volcanoes, and my sweet friend, Kari, who was traveling to Hawaii the week we were studying volcanoes and she was able to send me pics of lava tunnels and other neat volcanic things. And guess what we were studying on the day of the 30th anniversary of Mt. St. Helens? Yep, Mt. St. Helens. I had no idea it was the anniversary. It’s a good thing God’s got my back. What opportunities I would miss was He not in complete control.
God meets us as we home school and it just confirms to me that this is His plan for our family. How we love the time we get to spend together and how we love to be in the center of His will concerning the education and rearing of our dear children. I am absolutely overwhelmed by the perfect fit home schooling is for me personally. I never desired to be a teacher, but I feel strongly that educating my children in godliness, character, history, everything is my calling and purpose. It is so natural and enjoyable. I highly recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment