Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cast out the scoffer.

I know I'm being repetitive, but a constant theme continues to appear in my reading of Scripture and for the sake of my own family and those close to us who are struggling with a wayward, disrespectful, offensive "child" living in their home; I hope that God's Word will give them direction regarding how to deal with such a one.  And maybe You need a clear Word from Scripture as well.  If not, just bear with me while we move through this trial. (To read my previous post on this subject, click here.)

"Cast out the scoffer, and contention will leave; Yes, stife and reproach will cease." (Proverbs 22:10)
Ironically (or not) I read yesterday Scriptures definition of a "scoffer."
"A proud and haughty man---'scoffer' is his name; He acts with arrogant pride." (Pr. 21:24)
Webster's Dictionary definitions:

  • "scoffer" =  one that mocks, derides, or reproaches in a language of contempt 
  • "scorn" = to hold in extreme contempt; to think unworthy; to disdain; to slight; to disregard; to neglect
  • "haughty" = proud and disdainful; having a high opinion of one's self, with some contempt for others; lofty and arrogant
  • "proud" = daring; presumptuous; possessing a high or unreasonable conceit of one's own excellence, either of body or mind
As I write, I wonder how to apply this to my own life: rebellious teenagers aside.  Who are the scoffers in my life?  Will I also be obedient and cast them out?  Who causes contention?  --- From another angle, in what areas am I proud and haughty?  O Lord, deliver me from those.  We all know that pride goes before a fall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment