Sunday, March 14, 2010

My Bible

I have a pink Bible that I treasure with all my heart.  It is worn and written on and cried over just as the words I will copy below describe.  I can hardly open it because some pages are just too fragile to touch and entire sections fall out.  I have loved this Bible so deeply and it has brought me through the depths of heartbreak.

This is an excerpt from Beth Moore's Esther study that just touched my soul so deeply that I have to share them with you.  In fact, I may just pause at these words tonight and reflect on them, letting them melt into the depths of my heart.  What a treasure we have in that precious book that we hold so freely in our hands.  May that freedom never be taken from us.
___________________________
From Beth Moore's Esther study, page 143.:

Author Patricia Raybon described a time when she sought the presence of God in a hospital chapel while her husband underwent life and death surgery.  "I picked up a Bible, I waited for that nice rush that comes from holding a worn, loved copy of the Scriptures.  Bibles like that have their own heat.  They've been prayed over, cried on, sung with, stroked and gripped and loved so hard they just emote-- just by being touched-- that human loam and steam and hope that faith gives off."
Don't miss the point by looking for the doctrine in it.  Steep yourself in the emotion.  Glance over at your Bible.  Think what you've been through with God in those pages.  Think of the hope, guidance, assurance, and affection you've sought.  Think how thankful you are that God wrote something you can hold to your chest, rocking back and forth, when your heart is shattered and your sight too blurred to read.  Every Bible is the Word of God, but with no ears to hear it, hearts to love it, or hands to warm themselves by the fire of it, man is tragically lost to it.
____________________________
What beautiful words about the most beautiful Words ever written.  I think I will meditate tonight on how thankful I am that I have my precious Bible that God has spoken so often to me through and comforted me time and time again.  His Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment