Saturday, July 3, 2010

Kindred Spirits

I was just reading Sally Clarkson's post on her blog (www.itakejoy.com) and was so inspired by her words about friendships and how important it is to cultivate them.  Beautiful.  She challenged the reader to evaluate the friendships in her life that are life-giving.  So, I thought I would ponder that in my own life.

Kari Snelling.  My prayer partner for 3 1/2 years now.  I always watched Kari from afar when we were in College & Career together at CCCM.  There was always something so inspiring and beautiful about her, and I felt so drawn to her.  However, it wasn't until after I married and left Orange County that we really connected.  She called me occasionally on Sundays as she drove home from church and we would pray together.  This went on for a year or so.  In December of 2006 I asked her if she would consider praying together weekly.  She agreed and the day after my step-dad, Joe, died, we talked and have talked and prayed together weekly ever since.  I treasure her so dearly.  She shares her heart with me and mine is shared with her.  She is a confidant and trustworthy friend.  She also is very wise and unafraid to tell me what I may not want to hear.  I really appreciate this about her.  I love that I can tell her anything, even if it sounds childish and silly and she still loves me and doesn't judge me on my moments of immaturity.  She understands my heart and that is worth more than I can ever express.

Marian Mellor.  I am so honored to have her friendship.  She is absolutely everything I would love to be but totally am not.  She is a picture of integrity, grace, patience, submission, and love.  She has been so instrumental in how I try to be as a mother to my sweet boys. I love how God places us in just the right place for the circumstances of our lives.  I am married and have two children and I want to be an influential mom for the kingdom.  So, God puts me in remote Borrego where I am forced to stay at home with my boys and learn to love it.  It took a couple of years, but I am so grateful.  I love home schooling and I love that I have Marian to bounce things off of.  I am also so honored to know that if something were to happen to me and Jamie, Marian and her dear husband would step in as parents to my boys.  I am so glad to share the same heart for my children that Marian has for hers.

Marilyn Hassaniah.  Distant so often now as our lives are so vastly different, yet I know I have a trusted friend in her.  I confidently know she prays for me regularly and that is of infinite value.  Marilyn and I have been through the ugliest of times and now have no need to fear because we have made it through.  She loves Jesus and aches for His return.  I love this about her.  She is undivided in her commitment to Him and unapologetic in sharing His love.  Above all, she desires His will in her life.  And she tells the silliest jokes that really aren't that funny but seem hilarious because she laughs so hard at them.  Makes me smile just to think of it. :) Bless
you, Marilyn.

My sister, Tobi, and my mom.  They totally get me and I am so glad because really who possibly could understand my moods and weirdness?

Patty Scott.  I love her.  She is a kindred spirit and even though she seems ultra-spiritual, she doesn't have a holier-than-thou attitude.  She is humility and meekness.  I know I can be myself with her.  What a gift she has given to me!  And she still treasures me, even though I am terribly flawed and critical.  But, I know she knows my heart.  How many truly know our hearts?  So very few.

And there they are: those in my close circle at present, though this list is not exhaustive.  This is not a closed circle, it is just where things are for now.  I do hope I can widen my circle.  And I hope I can inspire as I have been inspired.  And I am so blessed by the numerous genuine people that surround me in my church.  What a sweet gift!

So why do I waste my time worrying about those I want to be friends with but who don't give me the time of day when I have a treasure of friends within arm's reach?  Why don't I spend the time writing them notes and loving them instead of seeking that which is not mine?  I am so sorry for not doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment