Sunday, October 31, 2010

Finish well.

O say can you see
by the dawn's early light...

For the first time since living in Borrego Springs, the parade started with those beautiful words sung by my dear friend, Jackie. 
a perfectly cool parade morning

There are so many ways the Borrego Days Parade could be made better.  And I hope that someone will step in and improve upon my own efforts in the years to come.

6 years ago, I had no idea what I was getting myself into and I had no idea how to plan a town parade.  As a Disneyland parade dancer, I knew how to get it down the street, but other than that I was at a complete loss.  I have made so many mistakes.  I have learned so much.  And everyone has tolerated my ignorance and guided me to do as well as I could.  I am very thankful that I chose to scrap "professionalism" and embrace relationship.  I hope the entries, volunteers, and committee feel also that we are friends.  They have certainly been candid with me about their likes and dislikes and I have tried to accommodate as best I could...sometimes too much. 

The wildfires broke out in '07, and after hours and days and months of planning, I had to cancel only days before.  

Today, too, was heartbreaking.    

Following the Scottish band which was our grand finale, a man stopped me on the route, and asked me where I found the bagpipers, then proceeded to compliment the parade, and I started to cry.  I am glad for my sunglasses.  I experienced a few other such moments in the following hours.

I was able to close the parade from the Announcer's Stand and thank so many for so much.  I have had an incomprehensible amount of help.  The church has graciously provided parade announcing.  A dozen volunteers help the parade happen the day of.  Several hard-working folks lug road closure signs for zero compensation.  The Festival committee has been so incredibly affirming.  The entries have been positive and wonderful, and I really love them so much.





I love the Borrego Days Parade.  I will miss it.  







But I have a greater calling:  
a dear and precious husband, and two treasured boys.   

And so, a sacrifice is made 
...but not in vain.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo Kori, That is an very large undertaking, and you did it! Im sure it was wonderful, and also exausting. Take a good rest, and love on those boys and your husband. Darlene

    ReplyDelete