Wednesday, January 5, 2011

knowledge abounds

In the last days knowledge will abound.

And so, here we are.

I don't know why but this verse has come to mind frequently in recent weeks, maybe months.  Knowledge abounds and increases.  Every t.v. show I turn on is full of information.  Most of it very interesting albeit useless in the long run for one individual to be required to know...unless you want to go for the gold in Jeopardy.

I attempt to plan my school day with the boys and find that I don't know where to start...or actually, I do know where to start but I don't know where to end and I certainly don't want to overload them with a bunch of information just for the sake of information.  What really matters?

Reading,
Writing,
Math?

Of course these are fabulous subjects but I am a woman of passion (have you noticed?!) and I want a cause to pursue and I want the necessary info to just naturally come with it.  Is that too much to ask?

It seems it would be too much to ask.  But if I have learned anything from home schooling, it's that God can make great lessons out of the most unplanned circumstances.  So, why don't I just relax and let things happen as they may?

Because occasionally I feel as if I have someone peering over my shoulder comparing my children to the products of the public school system and then I feel pressure, pressure, pressure.  When I really shouldn't since they are doing just fine.  And so am I.  Most of the time.  As long as I take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.

So what is that verse really?
"Many will go here and there to increase knowledge." ~Daniel 12:4  The context is that of the end times.  A time of distress.  Deliverance for everyone written in the book (yes, that book).

Well, knowledge is certainly on the rise.  And pride along with it.  And pressure.  When everyone knows everything, then what makes knowledge special?
We must observe our children and their gifts and we must depend on the Lord to guide us in our children's education.  And we must not allow the ridiculous influence and expectations of the world to intimidate us.
"Knowledge inflates with pride, but love builds up." ~1Corinthians 8:1
Don't you wish wisdom would abound instead?  And perhaps character?
"In Him all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden." ~Colossians 2:3
I'd rather impart to my children the treasures of wisdom and knowledge than just the pride of knowing random facts.

Relax, Kori.  
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge..."  (Proverbs 1:7)
"Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you." ~Matthew 6:33
I sure can analyze circles around something when I ought to just start at the most obvious point, God, and remain there and let Him guide our educational course.

1 comment:

  1. Kori, I have thought so often about this post - you expressed some of my sentiments exactly. It's so easy to get all tied up in knots and lose the forest for the trees. Yes character and wisdom. Lord, help us to stay the course.

    ReplyDelete