Friday, January 28, 2011

Lessons from Horton

"Should I put this speck down?..."  Horton thought with alarm.
"If I do, these small persons may come to great harm.
can't put it down!  And I won't!  After all
A person's a person no matter how small."
~Horton Hears A Who
How I connect with Horton...no, not because I view myself as an elephant (at least not in this case), but because of his passion to protect the innocent and to secure their survival.

Reading this story twice through with my boys tonight for the first time and I wonder what the great Dr. Seuss was alluding to.  Obviously some innocent, helpless being.  

To the Mayor:  "Don't give up!  I believe in you all!
A person's a person no matter how small!
And you very small persons will not have to die
If you make yourselves heard!  So come on, now, and TRY!"

"...I'll not be silent..." Psalm 30:12

I've spent the last week captivated in the pages of Shades of Blue by Karen Kingsbury.  I cried and prayed my way all the way through the story.  I relate to the author's heart to expose abortion for what it really is and what it really does, and to do so without condemnation or judgment.  How important it is to get the word out; to uncover the truth.  Don't be silent.  Spread the truth!  Share my story.  Talk about the in-womb babies as the little people they truly are.  Rejoice with a pregnant mom over the miracle being created within her.  Give someone this beautiful piece of fiction - read it yourself.  It is wonderful!

Last week the boys and I spent some time learning about Martin Luther King, Jr.  I was struck at his passion for freedom for his people, for ALL people.  Upon learning about his four children, and understanding that he was determined to peacefully bring about a change in culture even if it meant pain, imprisonment, and even death.  I wonder if Martin Luther King realized the cost to sacrifice himself for his children or even generations beyond his own immediate family...should it have taken that long.  And now, how he would be stunned that a black man is in the White House (though we may disagree vehemently with his policies).  Certainly, such a feat is a result of the great Martin Luther King, Jr.  
Like Moses, the Pilgrims, our Revolutionaries, and our Founding Fathers who fought for a life of freedom knowing they may never actually acquire it for themselves, but kept their eyes on the hope that freedom might come to "their posterity."  Martin Luther King, Jr. is no less a hero than these great ones.  Do we have that revolutionary spirit within us today for the sake of the unborn?  A significant part of culture refused to recognize blacks as people - seeing them only as property or "lesser" people.  There is no difference in how much of culture views the unborn: "a mass of cells", "tissue", not a whole person.  When the reality is that there are 10 fingers and 10 toes, brainwaves, and a heartbeat for every baby aborted.  An abortion will not occur earlier than 7 weeks.  The above-mentioned developments are well underway by then.  How deceived we have allowed ourselves to become.  



You have a voice.  Please, use it for those who do not.  Be as bold or as subtle as you feel comfortable but do something.



I exhort you -"Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin." ~James 4:17

"Open your mouth for the speechless, in the cause of all who are appointed to die." ~Proverbs 31:8 (emphasis mine)
 
You just may be able to influence another to see the truth too!

"How true!  Yes, how true," said the big kangaroo.
"And, from now on, you know what I'm planning to do?...
From now on, I'm going to protect them with you!"
And the young kangaroo in her pouch said...
"ME, TOO!"

You have a voice and you have influence.  Use it and be deeply and overwhelmingly blessed!  And stay tuned for more lessons from Horton.  This book is filled with them. ;)

Much love to you, 

1 comment:

  1. I recently read the Horton Hears a Who story as well and drew the same conclusions. Interesting, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete