Saturday, April 24, 2010

Loving My Enemies...

I had opportunity to put this into practice recently.  It was very difficult.  Thankfully, I had just read Kay Smith's Pleasing God chapter on this very subject.  A coincidence?  I think not.  I read through the chapter and the study guide questions in light speed...I wanted to be as prepared as possible for what was before me.  How very thoughtful of the Lord to have that be the next chapter we were to cover in my weekly Bible study.
The moment came...I stalled and suddenly was overcome with emotion and all reason and truth flew out the window.  I was frozen, paralyzed, unable to see myself in God's perspective.  All I could think about were the terrible ways I had been treated, and the "what if this happens?" scenarios.  I knew in my head what I must do, but I couldn't trust my reactions.  Would I cry?  Would I get angry?  Kindness...love...kindness...love....  I knew what I must do.
For those of you  who prayed, thank you so much.  With God, all things are possible.
It went "well," though I desperately wanted the truth to be exposed.  I wish I could get past my pride in being totally disgusted at the complete denial of the truth of the circumstances.  It was awkward but not obviously so (at least on my part).  I was kind though everything within me warred against kindness.  Aren't we so glad God tells us how to handle these difficult situations?
Thank You, Father, for scripture.  For instructing us through Your Word when we don't know what to do, or do know but don't feel like it.  I can obey even when everything within me rebels against the act.  My mind raced about the circumstances leading to this, the lack of justice in the situation.  Our thoughts are so wicked.  I have thought the most terrible things about irrational/difficult/shallow people...but may I always do the right thing even when I don't feel the right way.
Oh, how we need Him!

1 comment:

  1. Kori, I just love you so much and am honored to be called your friend. Thank you for being obedient, stepping aside and doing what the Lord calls us to. You are right it hard to love and forgive. But we must...even if we don't feel it. Thankfully, God will actually do that work in us...if we allow Him to. The Lord gave me a verse for a very difficult person in my life. It may help you as well. 2 Timothy 2:24-26 Rose

    ReplyDelete