Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My computer is off and I like it.

I love turning my computer off.
Well, honestly it's a little hard at first.  You know, shutting down my lifeline to the world...but once I've done it, it feels right and I have more time for real life.  Real moments.  Real conversations.  Real, tangible PEOPLE.  Not that you reading this are not tangible, but while I write, in that moment the only tangible thing is a digital, gray box with lots of buttons, no color, no personality...except the occasional insubordination in the form of lethargy, deletion of everything I just wrote, and other ways computers tend to act up and misbehave.

I guess I have a love/hate relationship with my computer, the internet, and even my cell phone at times.  I often cringe when my cell phone rings.  Who is it?  Will they require work?  Will they ask a question I don't know the answer to? I notice this bad attitude in myself more during parade crunch time (like now).  Stress time.

At my original writing of this post, I write in my journal.  Remember those?  You know...paper. pen.  The old-fashioned way.  One thing I do love about my computer is I can type much faster than I can write, so the thoughts have more of a chance to be recorded than with a pen.  Although, I actually enjoy very much hand writing.  Anyway, I mention my time on pen and paper because there is a reason I did it this way originally.

FEAR.

I'm afraid to turn my computer on.

How many more emails are in my inbox?  I was sitting at well over 200 when I shut down yesterday.  Who has criticized my latest facebook post?

Bottom line: What will I have to deal with when I turn my computer on?  What unknowns await me that will keep me in virtual-land longer than I intend?  (Mostly because I am drawn in and have zero self-control.)

I like the time when my computer is O-F-F.

Maybe I should just invest in a typewriter.


No comments:

Post a Comment